Thursday, May 28, 2009

Welcome To Amsterdam!

Hey Everyone!
I am currently in Amsterdam after a quick 10 hr train ride from Chur, Switzerland. I've spent the past 5 days with friends of the family in Switzerland and had the best time. In Zurich, I stayed with the Riet and Johanna Theus for the weekend and went on a day trip to Mt. Rigi in the Alps and then explored Zurich and the lake on Sunday. I then took the train to Chur, where I stayed with Riet's sister Ursina and her family. Chur is a small town of about 30,000 people and is about 1.5 hours south of Zurich by train. Once again, the Theus family went above and beyond to accomodate me. Thank you. Ursina and I took a day trip through the alps to a spa/bath located in Scoul on tuesday and it was AMAZING! I was relaxing in the heated pools looking at the alps and basking in the sun for an afternoon thinking to myself, "it doesn't get much better than this!" Driving there was also an experience where I was glad to be the passenger, not the driver. Talk about steep and windy roads! Overall, my experiences in Switzerland were amazing and I would gladly go back at any time. It has been my favorite spot so far.
As previously mentioned, I am now in Amsterdam and it is cold and rainy. I feel as if I am going to be repeating the weather that Jonathan and Diana had on their trip to the Netherlands! I am staying at a campground about 30 minutes outside of the city called Lucky Lake. It is definitely going to be one of the more different places I will stay at. There are these huge Dr. Seus-like animal statues around and you sleep in either campers or in a "dorm," which more or less reminds me of my camp days as a young kid. Outhouses for bathrooms and an outdoor kitchen surrounded by hammocks and a lake. It almost looks like a gypsie village. It's quirky, but looks like a fun place to spend three nights.
Well, I will write more after I have explored the city for a bit, but wanted to give everyone a quick update while I have the chance. Take care,
Kate

No comments: